Assessment Hub Volunteer Role
Location: Islington, Shepherds Bush or Lewisham
Support and supervision from: A named supervisor
Commitment: Minimum half a day per week for 6 months. NSNO is a 24 hour service, you can volunteer on day or night shifts.
Where will I be volunteering?
No Second Night Out focuses on helping those who find themselves rough sleeping on the streets of London for the first time. We ensure there is a rapid response to new rough sleepers, and provide an offer that means they do not have to sleep out for a second night. For many this will be returning to their home area, reconnecting with family and support networks.
No Second Night Out is not a hostel, there are no rooms, beds or bedding and clients will share a floor space (called ‘the hub’) until they move into appropriate accommodation. It is important for volunteers to understand that NSNO is a 24 hours service and staff work on a shift basis. You will not always be working with the same team members but all team members will have knowledge of how to support volunteers. NSNO can accommodate volunteers at any time of the day or night.
What will I be doing?
We are looking for volunteers to assist No Second Night Out in the work they do to house rough sleepers. Depending on skills and experience the role could involve:
- Joining clients for a cup of tea and a chat
- Organising and restocking supplies
- Basic administrative tasks
- General office duties
- Completing referral forms
- Researching accommodation options for clients
- Assisting with delivery of workshops
- Assisting clients with tasks on a one to one basis
- Assisting with research projects
Each individual volunteer’s role will be finalised in the last stage of recruitment process depending on skills, experience and interests.Please note the above work may not always be available when you come in so we ask that volunteers are flexible and willing to assist with other tasks as they arise.
Volunteers must meet the following criteria:
- Ability to work on own initiative when required
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment
- Ability to process information and pick up new skills quickly
- Problem solving skills and a can-do attitude
- Friendly approachable manner, able to build rapport with our clients
- Flexibility and adaptability – no two days are the same at NSNO!
- Ability to work with people who may have offending behaviour, substance use and/or mental health problems, with sensitivity and respect.
- Willing to undertake a DBS check if required
- Willingness to attend training to develop you in your volunteer role
What support will I receive?
- Induction training to prepare you to volunteer and access to additional training
- Opportunities to shadow experienced staff members
- Support from a shift leader on duty each day
- Regular support from your volunteer supervisor
- A dedicated Volunteer Services team to support your volunteering
- Reimbursement of out of pocket travel expenses
No Second Night Out recruits for volunteers on a quarterly basis. Our next volunteer recruitment is scheduled for early Spring 2017.